- Kristan Higgins
Dear Old Dad
Updated: Apr 26, 2022
My dear old dad has been gone for almost a quarter-century. No, no, it’s not going to be one of those sob-fest blogs, don’t worry. Not this time. I just want to tell you about him, because he was pretty great.
1. Dad was skinny. I did not inherit those genes from him, alas. He was 6’1” and weighed about 165 pounds. I’m 5’8 ½” and weigh…never mind.
2. Dad loved clothes. That I did inherit from him. I swear, Barney’s went into mourning when he died.
3. He had a lot of the requisite “man skills”; he could ride a horse, sail a boat, fix stuff, make things and play sports. That being said, the washing machine befuddled him, and I never once saw him cook a meal or even make a sandwich. When Mom was away, he took us out to eat a lot.
4. He had this notion that if he sat down and banged on the piano enough, he’d teach himself to play by ear. This never happened.
5. He was very handsome. All my mom’s friends had a crush on him. He looked like these guys here. But even better-looking. : )
5. He was an incredible baby if he was sick or hurt. It was cute for about 6 hours.
6. He had a lot of confidence about what he could do in life, but even more about what his kids could do. I dedicated my first book to him; I can’t imagine I would’ve had the guts to have become a writer if I hadn’t been the daughter of Ed Higgins.